USTC on International Students’ Application for Leave (Trial)
To enforce the management of international students’ application for leave, the regulations are formulated in accordance with the actual situation of international students management, as well as the “Administrative Rules on Students in Institutions of Higher Education”, “Measures of Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status”, “USTC Administrative Rules on Undergraduate Students’ Academic Affairs”, “USTC Administrative Rules on Postgraduate Students’ Academic Affairs” and “USTC Disciplinary Implementation Rules”.
1. During their study at USTC, students shall attend all activities required by the academic plans, focus on research and study, and try not to be absent or ask for a leave.
2. If the students cannot attend the activities required by the academic plans, they shall apply for leave in advance. They shall get approval from their supervisor and department, and submit the “Application Form for Leave” to International College for final approval. The application will take effect only after all due procedures are completed.
3. Students will take full responsibility for forging reasons for taking leave. The penalty for forgery can vary from receiving criticism and education on the administrative rules to administrative punishment.
4. For international students, there are three types of leave they can apply: academic leave, sick leave and personal leave.
Academic leave: students apply for leaves due to activities arranged by USTC, the department or the supervisor for the purposes of internship, fieldwork, social practice, scientific research, academic communications and etc.
Sick leave: students apply for leave due to illness.
Personal leave: students apply for leave due to personal or familial reasons, including activities not arranged by USTC, the department or the supervisor.
5. The duration for academic leave shall not exceed 1/3 of the teaching weeks of the semester. Exceptions can be made if detailed explanations are provided and approved.
The duration for sick leave shall not exceed 1/3 of the teaching weeks of the semester; otherwise students shall apply for suspension.
The duration for personal leave shall not exceed 2 weeks. Exceptions can be made if detailed explanations are provided and approved. For special cases，the duration for personal leave can be extended as follows：
1) For students who apply for personal leave for the first time and haven’t visited their home countries for 2 years by the time they submit the applications, their leave can be extended but should not exceed 3 weeks.
2) For students who apply for personal leave for the first time and haven’t visited their home countries for 3 years by the time they submit the applications, their leave can be extended but should not exceed 4 weeks.
6. Regardless of the types of leave students will be taking, it should not hinder the progress of their study and research nor be considered as a reason for delayed graduation. During the leave, students shall still keep in contact with his or her supervisor.
7. During a class, should students need to apply for sick leave or personal leave, they shall report to the teacher for permission. The teacher will decide whether to approve or reject according to the circumstance. When approved, students can take leave but should submit “Application Form for Leave” to International College afterwards.
8. In the process of an off-campus activity, students can apply for leave to the teacher in charge who will decide whether to approve or reject the application.
9. In general, during exams, applications for leave will not be accepted. However, exceptions can be made if students submit the application prior to the exams and agree to re-take the course in the next semester. For those who fail to attend exams without permission, the penalty of Absence from Examination will be given.
10. During winter and summer holidays and other public holidays, if an international postgraduate student needs to leave the campus, he or she is required to get approval from thesupervisor and follow the procedures for taking leave. Other international students who plan to leave the campus need to inform the International College and provide information including,
a) Reason(s) for taking leave
b) Place to visit
c) Contact person
d) Methods of transportation
e) Both departure and return dates
Students shall not leave school until the school or public holidays start and are required to return no later than the date when the holidays end. Exceptions can be made if detailed explanations are provided and approved.
11.During public holidays of the international students’ home countries, the students will be required to attend classes and activities scheduled in the academic plans if the public holidays fall on regular school days.
12. To apply for sick leave, students must submit medical records issued by the hospital.
13. In general, delay in submissions of leave applications are not to be accepted, except for medical and personal emergency. Under such circumstances, students are allowed to inform the International College via email and complete all the required procedures with supporting documents after returning to school.
14. After returning to school from a leave, student shall report back to the International College in person on the following first working day. If students are unable to complete such process or need to request leave extension, he or she shall provide detailed explanations before the end of the leave.
15. International students who:
(1) fail to attend regular activities required in the academic plans without submitting application for leave, receiving approval, or applying for leave extension,
(2) or fail to report back to the International College in person after returning to school from a leave, he or she will receive penalties based on the total number of absence days:
1-3 days of absence, circulation of a notice of criticism from the school authorities;
4-5 days of absence, receiving a warning from the school authorities;
6-7 days of absence, receiving a serious warning from the school authorities;
8-9 days of absence, receiving a demerit for being absent;
Absent for 10 days or above, probation or expulsion from school.
The official public holidays are not included in the total number of absence days.
For students who have received a warning, or a serious warning or a demerit previously, violation of the regulation will cause probation;
For students who have already received a penalty of probation, violation of the regulation will lead to expulsion from school.
For students who have received a penalty of probation, his or her scholarship will be suspended for one year. Scholarships for students who are expelled from school will be terminated automatically.
16. USTC is not legally responsible for the student’s behavior during his or her absence from school.
17. The regulation applies to all international students registered at USTC.
18. The regulation takes effect on the day it is issued. The International College of USTC hereby reserves the right to interpret the regulation.
(In case of any discrepancy between Chinese and English versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. In case of any regulations discrepancy between USTC and IMR, that of IMR shall prevail.)